Camouflage by Stacy Nathaniel Jackson

Camouflage by Stacy Nathaniel Jackson
Cover Art by Mary!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Kodiak Herbal, February 2008

Mary did such an amazing job on my book cover. I have had a great time giving readings here and there, selling my chapbook, talking to kindred spirits about poetry. Some of the work in this collection is quite old, and was written when I lived in very remote Alaska from 1996-1999, before I moved to California. My husband Nick worked as a fish culturist for the National Marine Fisheries Service at Alaska's oldest field research station, Little Port Walter. We were on the southern tip of Baranof Island, near a fishing town called Port Alexander. The year-round population at LPW was four humanoids. When my daughter Naomi was born, the population increased to five humanoids. We got our groceries and mail once a week (more seldom in the winter) by float plane. I spent my first winter pregnant, my second with an infant, my third with a toddler. I wrote the poems in order to stay connected to the world around me. And to keep from watching The Shining over & over.

No comments: